PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
We are in need of an English Teacher to teach elementary school students in some of the most impoverished areas of Peru. The ideal volunteer will work full time with students from three to eight years old, managing classrooms of up to 30 students and implementing the curriculum for the English program as a native English speaker. The ideal Experteer will be fluent in Spanish in order to communicate with both other school officials as well as the students.
Once we have identified a candidate, they will go through a brief orientation, and develop a work plan with their co-teachers and school director. The general deliverables will be:
- To teach Elementary English classes
- Prepare lesson plans based on the curriculum
- To correct student pronunciation
- To use games, singing and other creative ideas to help students learn English
- To advise the fellow teacher on pronunciation, teaching techniques etc.
A successful English teacher will have:
- improved students´ English level, in regards to vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, sentence structure
- built up students´ confidence in their ability to learn English
- made English learning fun
- taught co-teachers new teaching tools
- helped perfect the English of the co-teacher if necessary
ADDITIONAL USEFUL SKILLS:
We Provide These Local Benefits
This person will receive free housing at our humble Volunteer House, which varies by site. Most include private bedroom and bathroom, a shared kitchen and living room space. The volunteer will be responsible for cleaning up after themselves.
Depending on location volunteers are provided a humble living stipend of approximately 200 Peruvian soles per month, to enable the purchase of food.
Teachers will be provided school lunches provided in the cafeteria. These are balanced meals often based on rice, with vegetables, meat, a fruit as a snack and a drink (sweet tea or natural juice)-
English teachers will learn about:
- teaching in impoverished areas
- how to successfully teach in children with difficult home situations
- how sustainable development works and its challenges
We only cover local travel, from volunteer house to schools, included in the living stipend. For the volunteers teaching in the jungle, airfare between Lima and San Martin is covered.
500s stipend per month
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Size: Large organization: 100+ persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.