Role Description and Impact
We are looking for someone with a balance of program management, customer service, and influential communication skills to help manage the learning, networking, and community pillars of our programs. This position has plenty of opportunity for growth as it will be supporting a key component of many of our programs which involve adult learning, community building, and networking. This includes programs like:
- The MovingWorlds Institute, which helps professionals find more purpose and create more impact in their careers.
- Corporate education programs, live the Avanade Citizenship program, which educates internal influencers within companies to scale social impact.
- Corporate Experteering programs, which involves training our users on how to use our Experteering platform, and how to be effective in skills-based volunteering.
- The S-GRID program, which trains social enterprises on how to find and grow partnerships with the private sector to help create a more sustainable, just, and equitable economy.
Over the last few years, we have invested in a Learning Management System and Community Site which is integrated with our platform and back-end systems to help automate workflows, integrate data, and provide better experiences for our users. Our existing team of program managers have been operating it to date with a combination of influential communication, structured and data-driven program management, personalized customer service, and reporting skills. As such, we have some systems in place, so we believe that this would be most interesting for someone earlier in their career who likes structure and is eager to grow.
After a thorough onboarding process, this program specialist will work directly with the Director of our MovingWorlds Institute as well as our Director of Programs to execute on ongoing management, maintenance, and reporting of our Learning and Community platforms. While experience with Learning Management Systems and Community Platforms is a plus, it is not required for this role. Our systems are easy to use, and it’s more important to be a motivated, growth-minded, and curious program/community coordinator, specialist, or manager that wants to own an aspect of our unique platform and help make it better.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience in:
- Program coordination, management, and/or support, which included a direct customer service component
- Using any type of business automation, CRM, and/or other workflow automation software to help manage processes
- Consistent communication with customers – including verbal, written, and/or visual – with a focus on using communication to influence people to take action
- Working with, supporting, and/or insights into a startup or social enterprise
Work will primarily fall into 5 categories:
1. Stakeholder Success
Providing weekly guidance to the learning communities in the MovingWorlds Institute, S-GRID, and Corporate programs by posting updates, assigning tasks, and tracking the health of users, sub-groups, and the community at large.
2. Customer Service
Customers have questions. Sometimes they have compliments, sometimes they have complaints. You will serve as the face of MovingWorlds for our LMS and Community sites to handle inbound questions, requests, and comments, and then work across the MovingWorlds team to help the request be resolved in a timely manner. MovingWorlds has a ticketing system to enable scale and automation. As this role progresses, you will also be asked to initiate and lead programmatic improvements based on customer insights.
3. Community Management and Networking Support
We operate a community that allows network members from across cohorts and years to interact, discuss, and support each other. You will monitor community activity, help foster productive conversations, make connections, and analyze participation to suggest ongoing improvements.
4. Program Management & Improvements
Once your onboarding is complete, you will be responsible for managing and monitoring our community and learning management platforms, with coaching from our Director of the MovingWorlds Institute and Director of Programs. This will include end-to-end management of the platforms, reporting, and ongoing process improvements.
Working with the leads of the MovingWorlds Institute, S-GRID, and corporate programs, you will prepare weekly reports on user activity and satisfaction, monthly program quality indicators, and also participate in bi-monthly strategy reviews.
We’re growing as an organization, but we stay focused on making sure we care for each other, too. Any of our new team members will tell you that we’re different… open, vulnerable, transparent, collaborative, very growth-minded, and a little goofy. Here’s a few more tangible benefits:
- Award-winning culture - we were ranked by Escape the City as the #2 company in the world to “Escape to”, and have some other big news that we’ll be sharing soon :) We were founded to create a real impact AND operate in a highly ethical and sustainable way and we are committed to achieving both
- Friday Monthly Mental - No meeting Fridays, the last Friday of every month, so that you do whatever you need to do to take care of your mental wellbeing
- $100 per month work from home office stipend
- Health insurance stipend/plan that keeps growing and improving as we grow
- Annual device credit
- Manager training and guidance so that you get the support and coaching you deserve
- Maternity and paternity leave policy that keeps getting better as we keep growing
- A “bring your whole self” culture that cares deeply about every team member, and our collaboration as an organization
- Excellent communication across the company, including a “user’s manual” for every team member
- Networking opportunities with our global network
- Learning opportunities and budget
- Guided mentorship process to help you find and make the most of a mentoring relationship
If you advance to the next round, we will share our living employee guidebook with you so you can see more about our unique benefits.
MovingWorlds is a small team that is funding its growth on revenues instead of raising capital in order to stay committed to its impact -- this job opportunity give you the opportunity to get in early, get equity in our organization, and grow with us. MovingWorlds is committed to a fair and equitable pay across its global team, and it uses a pro-rata adjustment calculator so that every team member is paid at an equal level compared to published market data for their roles, and based on the cost of living in their cities.
- For this role, you can expect to be paid at a level of 75% of what is listed as fair market data for your role, in your city, in the nonprofit sector, for smaller organizations (10-20). Because of our global reach, this can be somewhere between $32,000 to $67,500 annualized salary (as we adjust salary based on cost-of-living comparison to create pay equity on our team). As an example, a person in Seattle will be based on a $67,500 salary, but paid $50,625 (75% of fair market) whereas the same person in Lisbon, Portugal would receive $33,000. MovingWorlds will share a transparent calculation for your salary. MovingWorlds may also elect to hire a more senior person in a part-time capacity for this position based on the application pool.
- In addition to salary, you will receive a $100 monthly work-from-home stipend, as well as a health insurance stipend.
- Equity in the company, which will make up for the difference between fair-market salary and what we pay for you.
- We keep adding more benefits as we grow, and are currently researching improved healthcare and retirement matching options.
Please note that we know this is a below market salary, and our every intent is to grow to market rates. We grew 40% last year, are tracking for more than 90% growth this year, and have high aspirations for next year, too. Now is a really exciting time to be joining our team and we hope to have us all to market level salaries by mid-2022. All team members received a raise in 2020 and 2021 of double digit percent, and we expect this to continue. More information about salary, as well as the MovingWorlds approach to equal and fair pay, will be shared early in the process.
Social Impact Commitment
As a “social purpose corporation” (aka Benefit Corporation) we exist to help accelerate the progress of a more impactful, global social enterprise movement that employs more people in world-positive jobs. We absolutely look for mission alignment from all our team members.
Work Location & Travel
MovingWorlds is a global, virtual team with presence in Seattle, USA; Houston, USA; Washington, D.C., USA; Medellin, Columbia; Lisbon, Portugal and São Paulo, Brazil. Ideally you will be in one of these locations, but you can work from anywhere provided you overlap with our working time zones. Our current clients are as far west as Seattle and as far East as Nairobi. Your home base should be between those locations for the optimal working hours.
Skills & Experience
This position will need skills and experience in the following:
- Customer service
- Program coordination, support, and/or management
- Sticking to and optimizing processes
- Clear and persuasive written and verbal communication
- Creativity in disseminating information
- Usage of business process / workplace automation technology (i.e. CRM, Salesforce, SharePoint, Zoho, SAP, etc.)
The following skills and experience are a bonus:
- Using and/or supporting learning management tools
- Using and/or supporting community management tools
- Social enterprise experience, either working with, developing content for, or studying
- Startup experience / exposure to small-team, high-growth, fast-paced environments where agility is important
- Data analysis
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Online community management
Your manager will be MovingWorlds’ Director of Programs, and you will be part of the Program Design and Management Team. You will work the majority of your time with the MovingWorlds Institute Director, as well as with your manager. You will also work with other key stakeholders, including our Corporate Communications and Program Manager, the CEO, Director of Engineering, and Knowledge Management and Data Lead.