Health Education Experteer
Support Women Empowerment in Kisumu, Kenya
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
Our organization is a non-profit that aimes to be the most innovative and responsive community-based organization by activating social solidarity, organic agriculture, technology and environmental sustainability to turn the tides against the devastating effects of HIV/AIDS on the people of Asembo. This challenge should be tackled at the parental stage with boys and girls. The education expert could hold talks and conduct workshops with girls, boys and families on how best this challenge can be handled and ultimately alleviated
The inhabitants of Asembo are Luos and they speak Luo and learn Swahili and English in school. We are working on sustainable solutions to:
- Eradicate poverty
- Eradicate illiteracy and ignorance through educational empowerment
- Increase food production to eradicate hunger through organic agriculture.
- Improve the health of the community both preventive and curative
- Empower women and youth with an emphasis on the girl-child
- Develop micro enterprises to sustain community work
- Preventive and curative
We started a massive campaign and the youth were very proactive to start a program called Football and Drama against HIV/AIDS. We encourage people to know their HIV status through testing and voluntary counseling through enlightening the community about how HIV was spread and how people could avoid contracting it. Those who were already affected we started medical camps to cure opportunistic diseases that came because of low immunity. Those whose CD4 counts were low are put on anti-retroviral medicines
The main objective is to develop Mabinju community and the neighboring villages holistically through self-help initiatives. The development is geared towards raising the living standards of the local community and empowering community members in a sustainable way to fend for themselves.
The Experteer will need an effective communication style and ability to deal positively with their community programs
1. Organizing seminars and workshops for the girls, boys, and women on the dangers of drug abuse, early marriages, and premarital sex. This will give priority to the trained to ensure the societal decay like drug abuse, robbery, early marriages and pregnancies, the spread of HIV/AIDS are limited and possibly come to an end.
2. The staff and the team of volunteers should be fully involved in creating awareness to these endangered group of persons to help come up with a society free from any form of immoral conduct. Such conducts like early marriages and early pregnancies that interfere with the education of the youths are reduced and or completely stopped.
3. For sustainability of the project, the volunteers / the members of the organization should be trained on other income generating activities. Such IGAS may include poultry farming, crop farming, mat making, basketry, and fishing among others.
- Medical Professionals
ADDITIONAL USEFUL LANGUAGES:
We Provide These Local Benefits
We have huts which can accommodate up to 20 people, there is power flowing water, beddings and clean sanitation
- We are a growing organization and works for the community development, promotion of better opportunities, improving standards of living and provides assistance to the social sector.
- Volunteers will help the community to provide customized solutions keeping in view of the community needs and to develop mutually beneficial relationships to foster Education, Culture, Tourism and international exchange of ideas.
- Volunteers will also gain experience in variety of fields including; social work, children and youth development, HIV/AIDS awareness and sports development
- This will be an opportunity to have a taste of real Luo/African delicacies. Staying within our community, will give volunteers an ample opportunity to learn and experience way of life and cultural practices.
- Since our organization is just a few Kilometers away from USA President Barack Obama ancestral home, we will arrange for a free visit and have a walk in Obama's village.This would be a great opportunity of its kind.
- We can offer local tourist guide and free leisure activities and traditional stories, cultures and entertainment.
- Visit Museums, Parks, Historic places such as Kit Mikayi, and boat rides.
- Kisumu is a Lakeside City with a lot of leisure activities.
Note: Depending on the Experteers interests and specific project details we may ask that the Experteer cover some of their own in-country transportation costs
This opportunity accepts applications for virtual experteers.
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Mission: Women Empowerment
Size: Startup: 2 - 5 persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.