Head of Engineering
We’re an award-winning and scaling social business that is helping build a more sustainable, just, and equitable economy and planet. We operate a global platform that connects social enterprises with corporates, peers, learning content, and a global community of pro bono professionals to deliver market-based solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals.
In 2021, we were ranked as a Fast Company World Changing Idea, and in 2022, we received an award from Escape the City as the #1 Best Company to Work For.
While our experteering platform was launched nearly a decade ago and remains in operation, our growth is being driven through our corporate skills-based volunteering + leadership programs with companies like Microsoft, PayPal, SAP, Unilever, and more, as well as through our MovingWorlds Institute Global Fellowship, which helps individuals advance their for-impact careers.
Our latest program, the TRANSFORM Support Hub, just launched in partnership with SAP, Unilever, TRANSFORM, the World Economic Forum, and more, and is drastically improving our ability to support changemakers around the world – like organizations turning waste-bound plastic into construction materials, solar-powered wifi connectivity hubs, clean water “ATMs” for people living beyond the grid and many more.
We have experienced double-digit growth the last two years, are growing even more this year, and have big plans for 2023 and beyond!
Get in early at a cash-flow positive and scaling social good startup, and help us accelerate our growth and impact by leading the engineering on our current platform, developing our technical strategy for the future, and leading our growing tech team.
Job Description & Impact
We are looking for someone that loves building software for the web and wants to use these skills to help MovingWorlds grow its impact and revenue.
You’re the perfect candidate if you love writing code and want to (1) keep writing code; (2) Use your knowledge of emerging technology to build a plan to scale our system for its next generation, and (3) Spend time developing and supporting other team members earlier in their engineering careers.
As we are at an exciting growth point and this role will be responsible for both execution and strategy.
Your primary tasks will include:
- Plan and lead the team to build our next-generation platform
- Lead the design of technical architecture and infrastructure
- Write and maintain clean, scalable code, including performing code reviews for team members
- Align technological strategy and resources with the organization’s short and long-term goals
- Support the evolution of the product roadmap by completing feasibility analysis and technical design for new product features
- Lead and grow the skills of people on the technical team
You will report directly to our CEO, and work collaboratively with our Head of Product. You will manage our full-time Software Engineer I and QA Lead, as well as two contractors: a full-time full-stack engineer and a part-time UX designer/engineer.
In your first 100 days, you can expect to:
- Network across the entire MovingWorlds team to understand our existing business model, impact model, partners, and growth strategy
- Collaborate with our outgoing Engineering Lead* to onboard and understand the key software ecosystem we use
- Build strong relationships with our software engineers (full-time + contractor), Head of Product, UX designer (contractor), and QA lead (fulltime).
- Lead team to ship improvements on our AWS-hosted, NodeJS custom website, with the goal of assuming ownership over the codebase
- Continue to manage and optimize the PostgreSQL database
- Improve our platform and database integrations with an evolving set of other web apps: Zoho One apps, telemetry tools (Segment, Google Analytics), Discourse, Teamie LMS
- Co-lead in SCRUM ceremonies for the Tech department
- Assume ownership and delegation of performance metrics, tests, and alerts on key workflows
As time goes on, we expect this role to continue to evolve with you and the company’s growth.
* Our current engineering lead, Mariusz Kukawski, is a treasured member of our team, but after 5 years in startup life and over 15 years behind screens, is looking to take a sabbatical and do something not on the computer for a little while. Mariusz is committed to ensuring a successful onboarding and remaining as an advisor to the company and to you.
Skills and experience
We are looking for a software engineering lead with a proven understanding of core computer science concepts and leadership to lead our technical strategy, execution, and technical team.
Currently, MovingWorlds uses the following suite of tools. While we don’t expect you to have experience with them all, previous experience in website coding frameworks and API integration is a must:
Core platform technology
- A custom web application built on NodeJS (HAPI) with a PostgreSQL database and Redis cache
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Route53, RDS, ElastiCache, EC2, S3, VPC stack
- GIT Source Code repositoryBootstrap + JQuery frontend engine (Jade/Pug templating engine on the server side), SCSS/Gulp for CSS packing
- Content Management System (CMS) - Contentful + custom code
Integrated web apps/services
- Learning Management System - Teamie
- Community forum platform - Discourse
- Emails and notifications - Twilio, Zoho Campaigns, Mandrill
Workflow automation and low-code tools
- Zoho (including CRM, Flow, Forms, Sign, Campaigns, Desk/Support, Survey)
Data Management and analysis
- Data integration tool - Skyvia
- Segment telemetry services
- Google Analytics
- SQL Warehouse for data
Planning and Supporting technology
- Google Apps / Suite / Drive
Our ideal candidate will have experience with some of these (or similar) tools/frameworks, as well as experience working on an Agile team. More important, however, is a strong desire to learn and to be a team leader.
Work Location & Travel
MovingWorlds is a global, virtual team with a presence in Seattle, USA; Houston, USA; Washington, D.C., USA; India; Brazil. Ideally, you will be in one of these locations, but you can work from anywhere provided you overlap with our working time zones.
We will prioritize candidates that are based in the WET or EST time zones, and the majority of your hours should fall in these time zones. You will also need to overlap at least 2 hours per day with PST. Our current clients span the entire globe, with the most in Europe and North America. Your home base should be between those locations for optimal working hours.
Screening Process & Equity Statement
Our team is international with team members working from four continents and a diverse set of skills. While we pride ourselves on supporting a very diverse community, we are also increasing our investment and education for our own team, as well as building a team that is more representative of the diverse community we serve. As of 2022, we have implemented new policies, including attempting to eliminate bias from our hiring process. This is done with:
All applications will be analyzed using a set standard based on the skills outlined above
Structured interviews with set questions across candidates are conducted to assess against predetermined role requirements
The hiring process will involve a skills test that will be benchmarked against a set standard and reviewed by a panel
MovingWorlds is a small team that is funding its growth on revenues instead of raising capital in order to stay committed to its impact and keep equity for employees. MovingWorlds is committed to fair and equitable pay across its global team, and it uses a pro-rata adjustment calculator so that every team member is paid at an equal level compared to published market data for their roles, and based on the cost of living in their cities.
We are also looking for a mission-aligned person and will provide a very generous equity package, equal to 2% of the company.
- For this role, you can expect to be paid at a level of 80% of what is listed as fair market data for your role, in your city, in the nonprofit sector, and for smaller organizations (10-20). Because of our global reach, this can be somewhere between $78,000 - 125,000 annualized salary (as we the adjust salary based on cost-of-living comparison [COLA] to create pay equity on our team). As an example, a person in Seattle will be based on a $150,000 salary, but paid $120,000 (80% of the fair market) whereas the same person in Lisbon, Portugal would receive $78,000 (80% of fair market - 65% COLA adjust). MovingWorlds will share a transparent calculation for your salary. MovingWorlds may also elect to hire a more senior person in a part-time capacity for this position based on the application pool.
- In addition to salary, you will receive a $100 monthly work-from-home stipend, as well as a $300 health insurance stipend and annual device credit, as well as a 3% retirement matching.
- The difference between a fair-market salary and what we pay for you will be covered via our generous employee stock option plan.
Please note that we know this is a below-market salary, and our every intent is to grow to market rates. We grew 60% last year, are tracking for 60% growth again this year, and have high aspirations for next year, too. Now is a really exciting time to be joining our team and we hope to have us all to market-level salaries by mid-2023. All team members received a raise in 2020 and 2021 of double-digit percent, and we expect this to continue. More information about salary, as well as the MovingWorlds approach to equal and fair pay, will be shared early in the process.
We’re growing as an organization, but we stay focused on making sure we care for ourselves and each other, too. Any of our new team members will tell you that we’re different… open, vulnerable, transparent, collaborative, very growth-minded, and a little goofy. Here are a few more tangible benefits of joining our one-of-a-kind team:
- Equity in the company
- Award-winning culture - we were ranked by Escape the City as the #1 company in the world to “Escape to”. We were founded to create a real impact AND operate in a highly ethical and sustainable way and we are committed to achieving both
- Friday Monthly Mental - No meetings on the last Friday of every month, so that you can do whatever you need to do to take care of your mental wellbeing
- Recognition of all holidays where you live
- 15 vacation days in addition to the monthly mental and local holidays + sick days as needed
- $100 per month work from home office stipend
- Health insurance plan/stipend that keeps increasing and improving as we grow
- Annual device credit
- A peer-coaching culture so that you can keep growing
- Parental leave policy
- Excellent communication across the company, including a “user manual” for every team member
- Networking opportunities with our global network
- Guided mentorship process to help you find and make the most of a mentoring relationship
- Retirement plan matching
Social Impact Commitment
As a “social purpose corporation” (aka Benefit Corporation) we exist to create positive social and environmental impact alongside profit. We do this work to help accelerate the progress of a more impactful, global social enterprise movement that employs more people in world-positive jobs. We absolutely look for mission alignment from all our team members.
To apply, please submit a resume using the online form embedded below.