Soil of India
Soil of India is a destination site that represents Handmade India
A social enterprise initiated in 2012 and soft launched in 2018. In-depth research and grass-root rural activation of 6 years, with travel across 150,000 Km into the gut of India, it has laid the foundation of building 'The World's Largest Global Sustainable Lifestyle' ecommerce project, that is committed to inclusive growth, the well-being of humanity, and our beloved Planet.
In fact, SOIL has currently curated on its global website, 11 Categories, 26 sub categories, with over 1100 products, from over 600 artisan clusters, by directly identifying, supporting, procuring and disseminating their unique, all natural merchandise, globally.
As a responsible business model our core philosophy is etched in 4 words -
People and Planet - First
We’re looking to improve our fundraising strategy with:
CrowdfundingFundraisingImpact InvestingInternational Business andInvestments
1. An untapped goldmine of India’s ancient wisdom is uniquely equipped to fulfill the exponentially growing needs of ‘natural, sustainable lifestyle fashion' alternatives, driven by the urgency of Climate Change and a Post Covid inflection, of growing conscious consumerism globally – unlike any other country of the world.
2. A conservative estimate of 100 million cottage workers (the world's largest sustainable lifestyle production base) have held the thread of a culture and heritage for over 2000 years, based on India's ancient ideology of sustainable living, aligned to nature. This, on the basis of the their handmade, wellness and well-being handlooms, art and craft, that cater to a growing global wellness industry, estimated at USD 4.5 trillion as on 2019.
3. As almost all artisans are uneducated, they do not have access to national markets, let aside international markets, to enable them to receive fair prices for their work and reach more customers. SOIL impacts the economic position of artisans and their families, by directly procuring their merchandise, reposition their presentation, to appeal to global markets, at premium/valuable prices.
4. Thereby empowering a cyclical and robust rural economic evolution of inclusive growth, planet positive sustainability and the potential to ensure the overall well-being of the country’s rural youth, its women (70% artisans are women), and diverse communities, working across development priorities – from health and education, to environment, gender and livelihoods.
5. Essentially SOIL helps increase/stability of Net Incomes of artisan families by: i. Higher and/or more stable prices and/or volume sold ii. Diversification of income sources iv. Access and use of improved production techniques.