Engineer to Develop a Device to Combat Sleep Apnea of Prematurity to Save Lives
Support Health in Bangalore, India
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
In order to combat apnea of prematurity, BEMPU is developing a new wearable electro-mechanical device for detection (pulse oximetry) and tactile stimulation for apnea in premature newborns. The device will be worn on the foot of the newborn and will also create an audio-visual alert in both home and hospital settings. This will be the second device in BEMPUs portfolio and is funded by USAID’s Saving Lives at Birth Challenge. The expert will help in developing the detection and stimulation for this device.
BEMPU is, therefore, looking for a senior electronics engineer to help with developing this device. A foreign expert will bring valuable skills to meet the technical, safety and usability requirements of this device. Through the expertise brought by a foreign engineer, BEMPUs own engineers will learn new skills and give them new reference points of similar technologies.
Currently, there is no low-cost apnea detection and stimulation monitor for low-resource communities.
This project will be a success when:
- A functional prototype of the device meeting the technical, safety and CE regulatory requirements is developed
Deliverables for this project will be:
- A functional prototype of the device which meets technical, safety and CE regulatory requirements
- Detail design file of the electro-mechanical system to be transferred to vendors for small scale manufacturing of the device
What professional skills and abilities are needed from the expert?
- Signal processing algorithms
- Signal extraction technique
- Understand electronics design for low-power, wearable medical devices
- Ability to integrate pulse oximetry technology with custom designed electromechanical stimulation systems
- Designing and prototyping effective electro-mechanical systems for tactile stimulation
- Designing electronics for safe wearability by a newborn, low power consumption, compact size, non-interference with other medical equipment.
- Designing for CE regulatory requirements
Great for people with electrical engineering skills!
Interested but not the right length? Like this organization and have an idea how your skills can help? Message us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Industrial Design
- Product Design
ADDITIONAL USEFUL LANGUAGES:
We Provide These Local Benefits
BEMPU will provide accommodation for the Experteer
BEMPU is a successful social enterprise in Bangalore – the professional will learn how they manage a small team but get lots of work done and how they are a sustainable business that still focuses on impact. The professional will be treated like a regular employee and will be able to participate in strategy meetings.
Siemens Stiftung will be the contract partner and cover all travel expenses.
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Industry: Medical Devices
Size: Medium sized organization: 25 - 100 persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.