Grant Writer & Resource Mobilizer to Support Children in Kenya
< 10 hours a week
Team Member (Typically 6+ months)
When Can You Start?
You can start ASAP
Description and Impact
Our organization is a community based organization that works to uplift the living standard of the children within the remote part of western Kenya. Currently we are looking for Volunteer who can support our organization on a long or short term basis as a Grant Writer & Resource Mobilizer Program Assistant. Are you creative, self-motivated, and have experience fundraising? Have you had experience writing grants for nonprofit organizations? Maybe you're a people person, and love to network. If so, this may be just the opportunity for you!
Our program balances the traditional and the innovative, emphasizing excellence in academics and a thorough exposure to the arts, environment, and Community Development. We teach children to think creatively, read critically and reason logically, stressing the value of both individual learning and collaboration. We are committed to diversity, teaching students to be inclusive and to respect themselves and others as well as integrating our programs to meet the community needs.
We strongly believes that no one raises themselves - rather it takes a community of interested, imaginative, caring, and hopeful individuals to reach one's fullest potential. All of our programs are designed to foster self-confidence, self-esteem, and a sense of belonging and empowerment. We wish to see students leave our program as well-rounded, articulate, resilient and morally responsible individuals. We prepare students to meet the challenges of a demanding secondary education and continue on the path of lifelong learning. Therefore, through our SHANGILIA MTOTO WA SUBA (REJOICE AFRICAN CHILD) programme, we wish to be the there and guide the African child to rejoice despite the challenges they are facing so that they can have access to basic needs.
Primary responsibilities include preparation of proposals and grant applications, and performance of professional and administrative work in researching, identifying, developing and responding to public and private grant opportunities in the areas of Education, Youth Development, Health, Technology, and other related areas.
Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing and computer skills (Microsoft Office Word, Access, PowerPoint and Excel), and database management skills. The candidate must be highly organized with the ability to implement systems and follow-up processes, able to effectively work under pressure, use independent judgment and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints. Previous experience will demonstrate a proven track record in securing new funding opportunities; comprehensive knowledge of research, and the ability to distinguish and identify funding opportunities for special programs.
As a result of this project, we hope to achieve the following:
1. Access to funding (for project sustainability) so that the center can carry out its mandate within a short time as well as long time.
2. Being in partnerships and collaboration with other like minded organizations/individuals for the smooth implementation of its programme like training of staffs, access to internal as well as external resources.
3. A long time mutual partner with the volunteer as we share success of the positive impact
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Desire to support Blessed Junior School
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Consistent recognition
- Strengthen support networks for families in need
- Meet/socialize with other volunteers and community members
We Provide These Local Benefits
- Learning Opportunity
- Meal Stipend
- Good For Groups
- Good For Families
Volunteers live in a home stay program while here, closely linked with the school. Volunteers are given a chance to experience a very authentic African lifestyle in all aspects. It is a great chance for you to be a part of a different culture and to learn about how others live their lives. Volunteers shall be given an access to their own room, access to electricity as well as water.
- Explore your interests
- Strengthen past skills
- Develop new skills
- Learn something new
- Become the teacher you never knew you were
- Broaden your horizons by interacting with new people & places
- Strengthen your compassion for others
- Improve or develop new interpersonal skills
- Gain a natural sense of accomplishment through helping others
- Achieve a new or strengthened sense of purpose
- Increase your self-esteem and self-confidence
- Have a brighter outlook on life
- Develop a new support system through those you meet volunteering
- Improve your physical health through more active volunteer opportunities
- Improve your overall mental health by helping others
- Experience greater happiness through volunteering
Meals are prepared locally and volunteers are given an opportunity also to learn how to cook food as well cooking their home food and share with the host. Volunteers shall get a three meals daily.
We request our volunteers to have:
- Positive attitude
- Compassionate heart
- Open mind
- Motivation to help in any way that you can!
In return we shall
- Offer Recommendation certificate/Letter upon successful completion of volunteer programme.
- A conducive environment to help you have a fulfilling and rich volunteer atmosphere
This project accepts applications for virtual experteers.