Senior Full Stack Developer (Remote)
Posted on December 12, 2022
MovingWorlds is a Fast Company World-Changing Idea Honoree and Escape the City’s best employer to “escape to”. Most importantly, our work is helping create a more sustainable and equitable economy by connecting people that work in social impact to the knowledge, experiences, and connections they need to scale world-changing ideas. In partnership with some of the most iconic brands of our time, we are helping social enterprises across over 100 countries grow more sustainably, and in the process, helping some of the biggest companies in the world improve their sustainability and equity. We invite you to join us!
We operate a portfolio of programs for individuals, corporations, and capacity-building organizations. While our experteering platform was launched nearly a decade ago and remains in operation, our growth is being driven through our MovingWorlds Institute Global Fellowship, our TRANSFORM Support Hub, as well as through corporate-sponsored programs with companies like Microsoft, SAP, PayPal, Kering, and more.
Help MovingWorlds accelerate its growth and impact by improving, designing, and building technology needed to deliver world-positive programs – while also serving as a core member of our engineering team.
Job Description & Impact
We are looking for someone that loves building software for the web and wants to use these skills to help MovingWorlds grow, improve, and ultimately, be more impactful. Beyond engineering, we are also looking for someone that is passionate about being part of a great team, providing peer coaching, and supporting / co-leading scrum processes.
Working directly with our Head of Engineering, your primary tasks will include:
- Developing front end website architecture inline with the approved designs.
- Extending the current technology platform and developing back-end website applications, including unit testing, if required.
- Creating servers and databases for functionality.
- Ensuring cross-platform optimization for mobile phones.
- Ensuring responsiveness of applications.
- Working alongside graphic designer to implement the designs of the platform and other applications
- Seeing through a project from conception to finished product.
- Designing and developing APIs.
- Scoping your own technical work to optimize the balance between technical and consumer needs.
- Staying abreast of developments in web application and programming languages.
- Managing and optimize PostgreSQL database, analyze and extract data for deeper analysis of user behavior and product strategy decisions.
- Integrating our platform and database with a variety, and likely continuously evolving set of other web-apps: Zoho One apps, telemetry tools (Segment, Google Analytics), Discourse, Teamie LMS.
- Collaborating with our Head of Engineering to plan and then build our next generation platform to support our scaling company.
- Writing and maintaining clean, scalable code including Unit testing, including performing code reviews for team members.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies
- Usage of DevOps and CICD pipelines
- Monitoring tools like Prometheus
- Knowledge of Docker and containers
In your first 100 days, you can expect to:
- Collaborate with our Head of Engineering to understand key software ecosystem we use
- Work with team members, with a focus on starting with code writing for some of the sprint items and move towards owning complete epic
- Collaborate and work with other software engineers, head of product, and QA & DevOps lead
- Analyze code on most critical existing features and provide suggestions
- Participate in design and planning sessions for Tech department
- Execute code changes, conduct code reviews
- Setup performance metrics, tests, and alerts on key workflows
As time goes on, we expect this role to continue to evolve with you and the company’s growth.
Skills and experience
We are looking for a senior full stack engineer with a proven understanding of core computer science concepts, as well as someone that can be an effective peer coach and support SCRUM processes.
Currently, MovingWorlds uses the following suite of tools. While we don’t expect you to have experience with them all, previous experience in website coding frameworks and API integration is a must:
Core platform technology
- A custom web application built on NodeJS (HAPI) with a PostgreSQL database and Redis cache
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Route53, RDS, ElastiCache, EC2, S3, VPC stack
- GIT Source Code repositoryBootstrap + JQuery frontend engine (Jade/Pug templating engine on the server side), SCSS/Gulp for CSS packing
- Content Management System (CMS) - Contentful + custom code
Integrated web apps/services
- Learning Management System - Teamie
- Community forum platform - Discourse
- Emails and notifications - Twilio, Zoho Campaigns, Mandrill
Workflow automation and low-code tools
- Zoho (including CRM, Flow, Forms, Sign, Campaigns, Desk/Support, Survey)
Data Management and analysis
- Data integration tool - Skyvia
- Segment telemetry services
- Google Analytics
- SQL Warehouse for data
Planning and Supporting technology
- Google Apps / Suite / Drive
Our ideal candidate will have experience with some of these (or similar) tools/frameworks. More important, however, is a strong desire to learn and to be an individual contributor in a very central/important role.
Work Location & Travel
MovingWorlds is a global, virtual team with presence in the USA, UK, Brazil, and India. Ideally you will be in one of these locations, but you can work from anywhere provided you overlap with our working time zones.
We will prioritize candidates that are based in EST time zone. Our current clients are as far west as Seattle and as far East as India. Your home base should be between those locations for the optimal working hours.
Screening Process & Equity Statement
Our team is international with team members working from four continents and a diverse set of skills. While we pride ourselves on supporting a very diverse community, we are also increasing our investment and education for our own team, as well as building a team that is more representative of the diverse community we serve. As of 2022, we have implemented new policies, including attempting to eliminate bias out of our hiring process. This is done with:
- All applications will be analyzed using a set standard based on the skills outlined above
- Structured interviews with set questions across candidates are conducted to assess against predetermined role requirements
- The hiring process will involve a skills-test that will be benchmarked against a set standard and reviewed by a panel
MovingWorlds is a small team that is funding its growth on revenues instead of raising capital in order to stay committed to its impact and keep equity for employees. MovingWorlds is committed to fair and equitable pay across its global team, and it uses a pro-rata adjustment calculator so that every team member is paid at an equal level compared to published market data for their roles, and based on the cost of living in their cities.
We are also looking for a mission-aligned person and will provide a very generous equity package, equal to 1% of the company.
- For this role, you can expect to be paid at a level of 80% of what is listed as fair market data for your role, in your city, in the nonprofit sector, and for smaller organizations (10-20). Because of our global reach, this can be somewhere between $78,000 - 125,000 annualized salary (as we adjust salary based on cost-of-living comparison [COLA] to create pay equity on our team). As an example, a person in Seattle will be based on a $102,000 salary, but paid $120,000 (80% of the fair market) whereas the same person in Lisbon, Portugal would receive $66,300 (80% of fair market - 65% COLA adjust). MovingWorlds will share a transparent calculation for your salary. MovingWorlds may also elect to hire a more senior person in a part-time capacity for this position based on the application pool.
- In addition to salary, you will receive a $100 monthly work-from-home stipend, as well as a $300 health insurance stipend and annual device credit, as well as a 3% retirement matching.
- The difference between a fair-market salary and what we pay for you will be covered via our generous employee stock option plan.
Please note that we know this is a below-market salary, and our every intent is to grow to market rates. We grew 60% last year, are tracking for 60% growth again this year, and have high aspirations for next year, too. Now is a really exciting time to be joining our team and we hope to have us all to market-level salaries by 2024. All team members received a raise in 2020 and 2021 and 2022 of double-digit percent, and we expect this to continue. More information about salary, as well as the MovingWorlds approach to equal and fair pay, will be shared early in the process.
We’re growing as an organization, but we stay focused on making sure we care for ourselves and each other, too. Any of our new team members will tell you that we’re different… open, vulnerable, transparent, collaborative, very growth-minded, and a little goofy. Here are a few more tangible benefits of joining our one-of-a-kind team:
- Equity in the company
- Award-winning culture - we were ranked by Escape the City as the #1 company in the world to “Escape to”. We were founded to create a real impact AND operate in a highly ethical and sustainable way and we are committed to achieving both
- Friday Monthly Mental - No meetings on the last Friday of every month, so that you can do whatever you need to do to take care of your mental wellbeing
- Recognition of all holidays where you live
- 15 vacation days in addition to the monthly mental and local holidays + sick days as needed
- $100 per month work from home office stipend
- Health insurance plan/stipend that keeps increasing and improving as we grow
- Annual device credit
- A peer-coaching culture so that you can keep growing
- Parental leave policy
- Excellent communication across the company, including a “user manual” for every team member
- Networking opportunities with our global network
- Guided mentorship process to help you find and make the most of a mentoring relationship
- Retirement plan matching
Social Impact Commitment
As a “social purpose corporation” (aka Benefit Corporation) we exist to create positive social and environmental impact alongside profit. We do this work to help accelerate the progress of a more impactful, global social enterprise movement that employs more people in world-positive jobs. We absolutely look for mission alignment from all our team members.
To apply, please submit a resume using the online form embedded below
Upon submitting your resume, you will then receive an invitation link for a screening task. After your response we will get back to you within 2 business days with an update on your application, and if we think we may be a good match for each other, an invitation to an interview.
Following the first interview, those selected to the next round, within 2 business days, will be invited to a 2nd interview with another team member. We may also incorporate an assignment.
Following the 2nd interview, within 2 days, we will provide you an update with a final decision.