Data & QA Engineer
Posted on 7th Jul 2021
We’re empowering our network of professionals, social enterprises, and corporate partners to build a more sustainable and equitable form of capitalism, and we believe our data can help us scale to the next level. Join our team to lead data: workflows, integrations, reporting and its quality at MovingWorlds to help us scale our high-impact programs that help professionals, social enterprises, and corporations learn, grow, and take action through education, networking, and peer-based support.
MovingWorlds is a social enterprise that is building the skills and abilities of people working to scale social impact across the world. Our efforts are helping accelerate the progress of the global social enterprise movement and enabling more people to work in world-positive careers. We are a small team but we have doubled as an organization in the last two years, and are doubling again this year. We are the #2 company to “Escape to” in Escape the City’s annual best places to work competition and most recently, a Fast Company World Changing Idea Honoree.
We operate a portfolio of programs for individuals, corporations, and capacity-building organizations. While our experteering platform was launched nearly a decade ago and remains in operation, our growth is being driven through our MovingWorlds Institute Global Fellowship, our S-GRID Social Enterprise Accelerator, as well as through corporate-sponsored programs with companies like Microsoft, SAP, PayPal, Kering, and more.
Over the last few years, we have continued to invest in our customer platform, integrations with business software, while also investing in a Learning Management System and Community Site which is integrated with our platform and back-end systems to help automate workflows, integrate data, and provide better experiences for our users. We are looking for a data engineer with 5+ years of experience that wants to fully own the responsibility for our data strategy, as well as our business processes automations that are driven by data. This is an individual contributor position that will work alongside a full-stack engineer and report to our Director of Engineering, while also working collaboratively with our Program Team and new Product Lead.
You'd be working across our SQL database, iPaaS(Integration Platform as a Service) integrations, ~30 SaaS services - taking an active lead to utilise SaaS and iPaaS offerings whilst striving to build reliable Data & Workflows Platform solutions.
Data leadership: strategy / architecture
- Responsible for the full data development life cycle ownership including analysis, vision, design and modelling of data and workflows
- Coordinate and negotiate with iPaaS vendors to provide best possible - solutions and pricing for us
- Propose new features working alongside our team
- Providing technical training and mentorship to less experienced development staff
- Adopting a continuous improvement methodology and delivering trustable data
- Provide strategic input to our next-generation low-code platform
- Implementing and supporting iPaaS and SaaS platforms like Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Learning Management System (LMS), Members/Community platform, and marketing software, and other business automation technology driven by data
- Data integration including the use of APIs, Workflows, Data pipelines, iPaaS services for small businesses
- Data migrations for internal needs and external partnerships
- Back-end software development & programming
Quality Assurance of Data
- Proactive QA strategy and automated maintenance
- Monitoring of data applications and data integration
- Availability, recoverability and performance of data
- Security audits
- GDPR compliance and other data processing audits if required by strategic partners
- Monitoring of data applications and data integration
- Data analysis skills and statistics to help understand the consistency and validity of data
- Creating reports and dashboards for business teams
- Help analyse business and technical experiments against KPIs
Skills and experience
- Developing iPaaS technologies for small businesses and cloud native architectures
- Analyzing, and challenging when needed, current practices or approaches and collaborate to propose improved solutions
- Identifying improvement areas and proactively influencing team members to prioritize high-risk and/or high-potential opportunities.
- Managing SQL, preferably PostgreSQL
- Developing using distributed data design patterns
- Conducting Quality Assurance, as well as implementing Q&A tools to support scaling
- AWS ecosystem, primarily RDS, S3, CloudWatch
- Utilizing API, SOAP, REST, Web data conventions
- Integrating and/or migrating from one SaaS service to another
- Bachelor's degree in technical discipline (preferably in computer science, information technology or related field)
We’re growing as an organization, but we stay focused on making sure we care for each other, too. Any of our new team members will tell you that we’re different… open, vulnerable, transparent, collaborative, very growth-minded, and a little goofy. Here’s a few more tangible benefits:
- Award-winning culture - we were ranked by Escape the City as the #2 company in the world to “Escape to”, and are a Fast Company World-Changing Idea Honoree. We were founded to create a real impact AND operate in a highly ethical and sustainable way and we are committed to achieving both
- Friday Monthly Mental - No meeting Fridays, the last Friday of every month, so that you do whatever you need to do to take care of your mental wellbeing
- $100 per month work from home office stipend
- Health insurance stipend/plan that keeps growing and improving as we grow
- Annual device credit
- A peer-coaching culture so that you can keep growing
- Maternity and paternity leave policy that keeps getting better as we keep growing
- Excellent communication across the company, including a “user’s manual” for every team member
- Networking opportunities with our global network
- Guided mentorship process to help you find and make the most of a mentoring relationship
- Retirement plan matching
For this role, we will provide company ownership/equity, a great working environment, a strong social mission, but with (at least for now) a below-market salary.
MovingWorlds is a small team that is funding its growth on revenues instead of raising capital in order to stay committed to its impact. MovingWorlds is committed to a fair and equitable pay across its global team, and it uses a pro-rata adjustment calculator so that every team member is paid at an equal level compared to published market data for their roles, and based on the cost of living in their cities.
We are benchmarking this salary based on a salary of $95,000 market rate, but you can expect to be paid at a level of 75% of what is listed as fair market data for your role, in your city, in the nonprofit sector, for smaller organizations (10-20). Because of our global reach, this can be somewhere between $52,000 - 78,000 annualized salary (as we adjust salary based on cost-of-living comparison to create pay equity on our team). MovingWorlds will share a transparent calculation for your salary. MovingWorlds may also elect to hire a more senior person in a part-time capacity for this position based on the application pool.
In addition to salary, you will receive a $100 monthly work-from-home stipend, as well as a $300 health insurance stipend and annual device credit, as well as a 3% retirement matching.
The difference between fair-market salary and what we pay for you will be covered via our generous employee stock option plan and equity in the company.
Please note that we know this is a below market salary, and our every intent is to grow to market rates. We grew 40% last year, are tracking for 100% growth this year, and have high aspirations for next year, too. Now is a really exciting time to be joining our team and we hope to have us all to market level salaries by mid-2022. All team members received a raise in 2020 and 2021 of double digit percent, and we expect this to continue. More information about salary, as well as the MovingWorlds approach to equal and fair pay, will be shared early in the process.
Social Impact Commitment
As a “social purpose corporation” (aka Benefit Corporation) we exist to help accelerate the progress of a more impactful, global social enterprise movement that employs more people in world-positive jobs. We absolutely look for mission alignment from all our team members.
Work Location & Travel
MovingWorlds is a global, virtual team with presence in Seattle, USA; Houston, USA; Washington, D.C., USA; Medellin, Colombia; Algarve, Portugal; Beirut, Lebanon and São Paulo, Brazil. Ideally you will be in one of these locations, but you can work from anywhere provided you overlap with our working time zones.
We will prioritize candidates that are based in EST time zone. Our current clients are as far west as Seattle and as far East as Nairobi. Your home base should be between those locations for the optimal working hours.
After a thorough onboarding process, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering, and work collaboratively with the rest of the team.
Screening Process & Equity Statement
Our team is international with team members working from four continents and a diverse set of skills. While we pride ourselves on supporting a very diverse community, we are also increasing our investment and education for our own team, as well as building a team that is more representative of the diverse community we serve. As of 2021, we have implemented new policies, including attempting to eliminate bias out of our hiring process. This is done with:
- All applications will be analyzed using a set standard based on the skills outlined above
- Structured interviews with set questions across candidates are conducted to assess against predetermined role requirements
- The hiring process will involve a skills-test that will be benchmarked against a set standard and reviewed by a panel
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter using this online form.
When you submit, you will be invited to take an assessment and work on a first assignment.
Upon submitting your resume, cover letter, assessment, and first assignment, you will then receive a response within 10 days with an update on your application, and if we think we may be a good match for each other, an invitation to an interview.
Following the first interview, those selected to the next round, within 10 days, will be invited to a 2nd interview with another team member. We may also incorporate a 2nd assignment.
After your 2nd interview, we will, within 10 days, provide you an update on your application, and you may be invited to a third and final interview. At any time, we may change this interview process based on role demand and competitiveness.