Business Development Fellowship Program
Support Economic Empowerment in Kampala, Uganda
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
We are seeking Business Development Fellows that will act as a business coach for our rural CBO partners to enable them to launch a sustainable enterprise selling clean energy technologies across Uganda. You will be based at their village location site and you will gain first-hand experience on rural entrepreneurship. You will work closely with the Executive Director of the CBO to advise on how to establish an enterprise that sells small-scale clean energy products, including but not limited to solar lights, solar home systems, improved cookstoves, fuel briquettes, and water filters. Placement is for a minimum of 3 months. Dates of the Fellowship are as follows and applications are accepted on a rolling basis for each of these yearly programs:
Winter: January - March
Summer: June - August
Fall: October - December
- Teach how to conduct market research to determine uptake and price points.
- Develop relationships with local clean energy manufacturers to help set up order processing and delivery.
- Accounts manage ENVenture’s loan to the CBO to ensure that all receipts, invoices, and purchase orders are accounted for and shared with ENVenture.
- Work with the CBO staff to create a marketing campaign around the enterprise.
- Help determine future orders, costs, profitability, and margins, as well as cash flow.
- Maintain progress reports with ENVenture, and at the end of the position, submit a summary of all work done during the time with ENVenture and the local partner.
- Help CBOs grow sales.
- We’re in the process of building an app offer additional support to the CBO’s. As part of the role you’ll be working with the enterprise to test the viability of the app.
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Business Administration, International Development, or relevant.
- Keen interest in clean energy technologies.
- Previous experience working in developing countries preferred, but not required.
- Able to live in a challenging environment and work in places without electricity and amenities.
- Have an open mind - you are there not only to advise, but to learn!
Great for people with business development or Entrepreneurship skills! Interested but not the right length? Like this organization and have an idea how your skills can help? Message us at: email@example.com
- International Business
- Renewable Energy
- User Research
ADDITIONAL USEFUL LANGUAGES:
We Provide These Local Benefits
Furnished accommodation in the village of placement for up to 3 months provided.
- Online business course training on working with the base of the pyramid consumers.
- Joining the ENVenture network and making direct connections with clean energy access companies and connecting with other Fellows from around the world.
- Opportunity to work in an impact-driven start-up!
- Personal accident health coverage during placement.
- Participation at our boot camp in Kampala (transport, lunch, and accommodation) for two nights.
- Local Fellows only: Transportation to and from village site.
- International Fellows only: 3-month Visa
This opportunity accepts applications for virtual experteers.
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Industry: Non-Profit, Oil & Energy
Mission: Economic Empowerment
Size: Startup: 2 - 5 persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.