Education and Teaching Experteer
Support Education in Asembo Village, Kenya
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
Our organization works closely with partner Schools and community adult education learning centers both primary and secondary schools. There are shortages of teachers therefore there is a need for volunteers to help with the teaching in these schools to supplement the teaching staff. The volunteers could teach English, Mathematics, Science, Social studies, Religious studies, History, Physical Education to every age student. Because of lack of teachers the education quality is compromised therefore children need extra help with homework. Most parents are illiterate therefore they can’t help the children with their homework The school calendar is divided into three terms.
A term runs for approximately 3 months but your volunteer activities do not need to end since you can continue to help children with academics in their weak areas, sports, music and dance, and drama and workshops on topical/empowerment issues.
- FIRST TERM ( second week of January to First week of April)
- SECOND TERM ( First week of May to First week of August)
- THIRD TERM ( First week of September to Mid-November)
The suitable Experteer for this opportunity will assist in:-
- Preparing lesson plans, teaching classes and evaluating student progress
- Encouraging students and acting as teacher–advisors for students
- Maintaining discipline in the classroom
- Running extracurricular sports, music and dancing, drama or discussions on topical issues like hygiene, environment and many other topics deemed relevant both at school and within the organization set up.
- Experteers can also assist students at home in their homesteads with homework or within our organization.
- Assist in the adult education program, many grown-ups want to learn how to read and write.
- Updating the organization with the education and learning programs and best measures needed for education program in the community.
- Nonprofit Operations
- Program Management
ADDITIONAL USEFUL LANGUAGES:
We Provide These Local Benefits
We have huts which can accommodate up to 20 people, there is power, flowing water, beddings and clean sanitation.
We are a growing organization and works for the community development, promotion of better opportunities, improving standards of living and provides assistance to the social sector.
- Volunteers will help the community to provide customized solutions keeping in view of the community needs and to develop mutually beneficial relationships to foster Education, Culture, Tourism and international exchange of ideas.
- Volunteers will also gain experience in variety of fields including; social work, children and youth development, HIV/AIDS awareness and sports development
- This will be an opportunity to have a taste of real Luo/African delicacies.
- Staying within our community, will give volunteers an ample opportunity to learn and experience way of life and cultural practices.
- Since our organization is just a few Kilometers away from USA President Barack Obama ancestral home, we will arrange for a free visit and have a walk in Obama's village.This would be a great opportunity of its kind.
- We can offer local tourist guide and free leisure activities and traditional stories, cultures and entertainment.
- Visit Museums, Parks, Historic places such as Kit Mikayi, and boat rides.
- Kisumu is a Lakeside City with a lot of leisure activities.
Note: Depending on the Experteers interests and specific project details we may ask that the Experteer cover some of their own in-country transportation costs
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Size: Startup: 2 - 5 persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.