Business and Social Enterprise Development Experteer
Support Women Empowerment in Kisumu, Kenya
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
Our Organization is a nonprofit organization working to empower women through self-help initiatives. We are seeking to affect the economic and societal conditions in our communities.
We are working with women in slums and rural regions of Western Kenya where jobs are scarce and incomes for individuals and families are typically less than $1 per day. The residents are subsistence farmers and there is little opportunity to earn money in this area. One of the primary programs is the Woman Empowerment Program. This program is designed to provide opportunities for income and employment to the women through teaching them how to make handcrafted products, sales skills, and other various trainings. Approximately 21 women are involved in the program making beautiful baskets and jewelry from local resources. The crafts are purchased and sold by women with all sales returning to fund programs in our organization, including handcraft training.
Our baskets are beautifully hand-woven and come in a variety of sizes, shapes, colors and patterns are available for sale. They are both useful and works of art. The women also make jewelry out of beautiful beads produced from magazines and other paper goods. These beads are made by cutting the paper into strips and rolling tightly. They are then dyed and lacquered to make gorgeous necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. African fabrics are known for their wonderful patterns and colors. We purchase fabrics from the Kenyan markets and use them to produce placemats, table runners, handbags and a variety of other products.
One of our main goals is to help women in Western Kenya manage their growing micro-businesses by providing hands-on assistance. The Experteer will work side by side with the women we have in our program to achieve their business goals including:
- Development of a business plan for expansion.
- Implementation of expansion activities.
- Financial review and improvement of financial systems.
- Development of marketing and sales strategies to increase sales
- Profile the participants to identify their strengths and needs in terms of equipment, skills, and language proficiency.
- Create a long-term, goal-setting, development plan with each woman entering the program.
The close interaction with the women is critical to the project's success.
- Business Strategy
- International Business
ADDITIONAL USEFUL LANGUAGES:
We Provide These Local Benefits
We have huts which can accommodate up to 20 people, there is power flowing water, beddings and clean sanitation.
We are a growing organization and works for the community development, promotion of better opportunities, improving standards of living and provides assistance to the social sector.
- Experteers will learn the traditional African mode of Trade.
- Experteers will help the community to provide customized solutions keeping in view of the community needs and to develop mutually beneficial relationships to foster Education, Culture, Tourism and international exchange of ideas.
- Experteers will also gain experience in variety of fields including; social work, children and youth development, HIV/AIDS awareness and sports development
- This will be an opportunity to have a taste of real Luo/African delicacies. Staying within our community, will give Experteers an ample opportunity to learn and experience way of life and cultural practices.
- Since our organization is just a few Kilometers away from USA President Barack Obama ancestral home, we will arrange for a free visit and have a walk in Obama's village.
- This would be a great opportunity of its kind.
- We can offer local tourist guide and free leisure activities and traditional stories, cultures and entertainment.
- Visit Museums, Parks, Historic places such as Kit Mikayi, and boat rides.
- Kisumu is a Lakeside City with a lot of leisure activities.
Note: Depending on the Experteers interests and specific project details we may ask that the Experteer cover some of their own in-country transportation costs
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Mission: Women Empowerment
Size: Startup: 2 - 5 persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.