Psychology Coordinator - Educational
You must be able to speak Spanish.
When Can You Start?
You can start as soon as possible and stay for 5½ months to 12 months
Description and Impact
We are a charity working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programme focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. Our aim is to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
Within our organization, we have two main programmes; education of the child and welfare of the child's family. Within the education programme, we have pre-school, primary, secondary and English departments. Within family welfare, we have psychology, economic development and social work departments.
The Psychology Department
The Psychology Department is an integral part of our holistic approach and works to increase the social and emotional well-being of all families in our program. It provides support groups for children who are experiencing difficulties and runs parenting groups to look at behavior management techniques. It also runs direct individual therapy sessions, with a focus on brief interventions for explicit difficulties that can be resolved in usually no more than 5 or 6 appointments.
The Experteer is Required to have:
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in clinical, educational or child psychology
- University degree in Psychology
- Fluency in Spanish – spoken and written
- Management, leadership or volunteer coordination experience
- 3 months living in Latin America
- Passion for working with children and education reform in Latin America
- Humble and open to working with differing cultures/backgrounds
- Ability to work in a team as well as take initiative and work independently
- Masters degree in social or education-related area
- 3 years experience with disadvantaged populations
- Experience working with Latin American non-profits
- Experience working under conservative budget restraints
We're looking for an Experteer to support our Psychology department. The Psychology Coordinator will work under the direct supervision of the Family Welfare Coordinator and in close relation to the Education and Social Work departments.
You will plan and lead the Psychology department activities involving our service users: children, parents and families. You will facilitate workshops for parents on various topics related to life skills and parenthood. There will also be group workshops for children in order to enhance their personal development, self-confidence and academic progress. In addition, you may give therapy to families or children when necessary.
You will administer the department and coordinate and look to expand a small team of local and international volunteers.
We Provide These Local Benefits
- Learning Opportunity
The benefits of working with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, we will provide:
- flight reimbursement in monthly installments
- a thorough induction to the organization, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members
- support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmation of volunteer service