You must be able to speak English.
Additionally, speaking Afrikaans would be helpful.
When Can You Start?
You can start as soon as possible and stay for 4 weeks to 2½ months
Description and Impact
This is an exciting project for an experienced IT professional to develop our IT infrastructure and share their skills to ensure that we make the use of technology. Some of the work can be undertaken remotely reducing the time necessary to be spent on site.
We are a community NGO located in Masaka seeks to empower communities in greater Masaka to achieve holistic and sustainable development in their response to the challenges brought on by lack of education, HIV/Aids and psycho-social economic obstacles. We have four permanent members of staff, all locals, who are supported by interns and Experteers.
- To build a local area network so that data/resources can be shared. As with any NGO funds for equipment is limited. We understand that some corporates make obsolete technology available and research prior to arrival would be helpful.
- Introduce a formal back up process so data and equipment are protected.
- Review set up of laptops to ensure that they have latest (free) updates and appropriate security protection.
- Recommend an appropriate database/library to document all research undertaken.
- Review self-built excel templates (we report regularly to sponsors in Germany) to ensure that they are efficient and easy to use.
- Create an IT policy which all staff and volunteers should follow.
- Develop the use of technology in our fieldwork – use of videos helps aid understanding.
- Develop the IT skills of the local staff. We are self-taught and would welcome any training.
- Assist with updating our social media.
- Due financial constraints and/or illiteracy it may be difficult to implement IT projects in our communities but inspiring the women to make better use of technology mainly smart phones to gain information and expand their businesses would be well received.
- We believe that by implementing a fit for purpose IT structure NIRP will become more efficient and data will be protected.
We Provide These Local Benefits
- Learning Opportunity
- Good For Families
- Culture and way of living of local people.
- Crowdfunding to support communities.
Local travels or tours for you to explore our community and beyond
This project accepts applications for virtual experteers.