Balloon Growth Consultant (funded by Citi Foundation)
Support Poverty Alleviation in Jinja, Uganda
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
We are looking for Experteers with backgrounds in entrepreneurship, consulting, business to spend 3-4 months in Uganda or Kenya to support and mentor local entrepreneurs. This project is made possible by funding from Citi Foundation.
As part of our Growth Team, you will join other local and international staff to work closely with these entrepreneurs to develop and implement growth strategies to take their businesses to the next level. You will be based in Kenya or Uganda supporting up to 6 of the best small businesses to grow and create employment. Your work specific work will vary depending on the needs of the specific entrepreneurs you are supporting, but can include:
- Analysing businesses and growth opportunities
- Pitching to customers
- Improving business processes
- Building financial models and forecasts
- Creating and implementing marketing campaigns
- Securing new partnerships
- Identifying and hiring staff
- Mitigating key risks
In parallel, you will work alongside and increase the local staff's skills and capacity to make this project truly sustainable.
About the Experteer
- Have experience either running or working in a successful business
- Be very analytical, able to spot opportunities and choose the right strategy
- Be excellent at building personal relationships and trust
- Be active and outgoing
- Be an excellent sales person
- Have a strong work ethic and be super ambitious
Since 2011, we have worked with over 1,500 entrepreneurs in emerging markets. We know growth is hard and most businesses inevitably start small and stay small. But every now and then we meet someone truly exceptional. An entrepreneur that, if born into different circumstances, could have been the next Mark Zuckerberg, Whitney Wolfe or Steve Jobs.
Despite the challenging commercial environment, these people are still doing incredible things, running businesses and creating employment. They are entrepreneurs like Eddie, who at 24 already owns and runs a low-cost vocational education college, a low-fee private school and a nursery in Bugembe, a slum area outside of Jinja, Uganda - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx6U8keiW-0.
We know that these entrepreneurs have the potential to do so much more. Our aim is to unlock their potential, so they don’t just employ 5 people, but 500.
- Business Strategy
We Provide These Local Benefits
We will provide a stipend at the equivalent of a local salary local at ~£220 per month which should cover the cost of local accommodation and meals.
- This role will last for 3-4 months.
- We will offer a local stipend to help cover living costs: c. £220 per month
- You will be required to fund your own flights, visas/permits and travel insurance.
- You will be based out of one of our local offices. We will provide you with training and support before and during the programme.
- Growth Teams will form in January 2018 and April 2018.
- Having supported over 200 placements in recent years, we are experts in ensuring safe and impactful programmes.
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Mission: Poverty Alleviation
Size: Medium sized organization: 25 - 100 persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.