Micro Franchisee Training and Assessment for Low Income Settings
Support Economic Empowerment in Kigali, Rwanda
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
Founded in 2013, African Renewable Energy Distributor (ARED) is a hard-tech as a service company (HAAS) based in Rwanda and Uganda. We have developed a 'business in a box' solar kiosk, app and software platform that empowers mostly women and people with disabilities using a micro franchise business model. The solar powered kiosk offers key services such as:
- internet WIFI
- intranet solutions for offline users (Internet is not always available, especially if you run out of money on your phone. However, around the kiosks, you can still get WiFi without being connected to the internet and use some of the services offline.
- phone charging services.
With their app, they offer additional services such as:
- Airtime (airtime is mobile money. Most of African communication works on a pay-as-you-go system. So you charge money onto your phone number and afterward, you can use it. Our kiosks sell small vouchers that you can buy in order to charge money onto your phone. Money on the phone is called airtime. No airtime means that people can call you (which is for free) but you can neither call somebody or use the internet.
- Mobile money (a mobile payments system based on accounts held by a mobile operator and accessible from subscribers’ mobile phones. The conversion of cash into electronic value (and vice versa) happens at retail stores (or agents). All transactions are authorized and recorded in real-time using SMS.)
- Prepaid electricity for people's homes
- Tax payment services to create a one-stop shop center for our customers.
The solar kiosks are operated by independent franchisees who participate in entrepreneurship training beforehand to improve their skills in running their own micro- business.
The task of the Experteer will be to review the current entrepreneurship training program for new ARED franchisees and to develop an assessment testing system that ensures that potential new applicants have the necessary skills and business mindset to work as independent entrepreneurs. This will enable ARED to grow more sustainably and decrease the turnover of micro entrepreneurs.
This project will be considered a success if the turnover of applicants reduces and more successful entrepreneurs are in place.
The goal is to improve our recruitment system for our micro franchisees on the ground using a scoring system that will be based on candidates' entrepreneurial mindset and behavioral so we can select the right candidates for our micro franchise program.
Great for people with entrepreneurial skills!
Interested but not the right length? Like this organization and have an idea how your skills can help? Message us at: match@movingworlds.
- Human Resources
ADDITIONAL USEFUL LANGUAGES:
We Provide These Local Benefits
Housing will be provided.
Meals will be provided.
- Realities of small scale business in developing regions
- The mindset challenges for low-income people
- How to better fight poverty
- The use of technology in the fight against poverty
Travel as well as insurance will be covered by Siemens Stiftung (Foundation).
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Industry: Computer Hardware, Renewables & Environment
Mission: Economic Empowerment
Size: Small organization: 5 - 25 persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.