Empower Women Through Fashion and Design
Support Women Empowerment in Desa Sri Hartamas, Malaysia
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND IMPACT
We aim to train women from low-income backgrounds to sew hand-made gifts and fashion accessories made from a traditional Malaysian fabric called batik. While we take enormous pride in the high-quality hand-made fashion, gifts and home goods that their artisans create, people matter most. We believe women deserve a fair and sustainable income, and the ability to provide for themselves and their families. Today we employ more than 50 artisans, giving them skills training and sustainable, accessible income opportunities and helping meet other community needs.
We are looking for an Experteer to:
- Design new products and help improve existing products while incorporating eco-friendly dyed fabric.
- Help us create new and hot product offerings for the gifts and/or fashion industry.
- Help us get better at product design, so we can learn to innovate better in the future. We want to improve and broaden our products so we can increase demand, thereby giving more women sustainable income in the low-income housing areas.
Dates are flexible.
This project will be considered a success if by the end of the project the Experteer has
- Designed 5 new products.
- Recommended improvements for existing products.
- Helped us better understand what our customers are looking for and how to improve our design process.
- Design (Product or Industrial)
- Design (Web or Print)
ADDITIONAL USEFUL LANGUAGES:
We Provide These Local Benefits
We will coordinate with you to provide housing near the work location for your time spent in Kuala Lumpur
We will provide 3 meals a day.
- Experience in the daily operations of a growing social enterprise
- Participate in having a practical impact on a community through running a business
- Continue to develop skills in your field and any others you are interested in
- Gain real-world, cross-cultural business and life experiences that will last a lifetime
- We can help connect you opportunities to meet people and make friends.
- We will provide transportation to and from the airport.
- We will provide daily transportation to/from the work location.
Questions & Answers About this Opportunity
Industry: Design, Fashion, Textiles
Mission: Women Empowerment
Size: Medium sized organization: 25 - 100 persons
Create an Account
Contact this organization, see other suggested projects, and get help from our support team to find and plan an Experteering trip.
What is MovingWorlds?
A membership community, matching site, and global support team that helps you find the best place to volunteer your skills.
Read about us in Huffington Post
How do I contact this organization?
Become a verified member of MovingWorlds to start communicating with this organization and to learn more about the project. By becoming a member, you can also connect to any other of our verified Experteering opportunities around the world with any of the organizations on our platform, as well as our support team if you need guidance.
What happens after I become a member and get connected?
You follow our facilitated planning process to finalize the details of your Experteering engagement in partnership with the hosting organization.
Can I save this project for easy reference?
What if the time or skills aren't right?
That's OK! You can contact this organization and share your availability and/or skills, and discuss directly with them if you can work on a project that better fits both of you.