Micro Franchisee Training and Assessment for Low Income Settings
This project was matched to another person! For similar projects, get introduced to this organization.
When Can You Start?
You can startas soon as possible and stay for 4 weeks to 1¾ month
Description and Impact
Founded in 2013, African Renewable Energy Distributor (ARED) is a hard-tech as a service company (HAAS) based in Rwanda and Uganda. We have developed a 'business in a box' solar kiosk, app and software platform that empowers mostly women and people with disabilities using a micro franchise business model. The solar powered kiosk offers key services such as:
- internet WIFI
- intranet solutions for offline users (Internet is not always available, especially if you run out of money on your phone. However, around the kiosks, you can still get WiFi without being connected to the internet and use some of the services offline.
- phone charging services.
With their app, they offer additional services such as:
- Airtime (airtime is mobile money. Most of African communication works on a pay-as-you-go system. So you charge money onto your phone number and afterward, you can use it. Our kiosks sell small vouchers that you can buy in order to charge money onto your phone. Money on the phone is called airtime. No airtime means that people can call you (which is for free) but you can neither call somebody or use the internet.
- Mobile money (a mobile payments system based on accounts held by a mobile operator and accessible from subscribers’ mobile phones. The conversion of cash into electronic value (and vice versa) happens at retail stores (or agents). All transactions are authorized and recorded in real-time using SMS.)
- Prepaid electricity for people's homes
- Tax payment services to create a one-stop shop center for our customers.
The solar kiosks are operated by independent franchisees who participate in entrepreneurship training beforehand to improve their skills in running their own micro- business.
The task of the Experteer will be to review the current entrepreneurship training program for new ARED franchisees and to develop an assessment testing system that ensures that potential new applicants have the necessary skills and business mindset to work as independent entrepreneurs. This will enable ARED to grow more sustainably and decrease the turnover of micro entrepreneurs.
This project will be considered a success if the turnover of applicants reduces and more successful entrepreneurs are in place.
The goal is to improve our recruitment system for our micro franchisees on the ground using a scoring system that will be based on candidates' entrepreneurial mindset and behavioral so we can select the right candidates for our micro franchise program.
Great for people with entrepreneurial skills!
Interested but not the right length? Like this organization and have an idea how your skills can help? Message us at: match@movingworlds.
We Provide These Local Benefits
- Travel Stipend
- Learning Opportunity
- Meal Stipend
Housing will be provided.
Travel as well as insurance will be covered by Siemens Stiftung (Foundation).
- Realities of small scale business in developing regions
- The mindset challenges for low-income people
- How to better fight poverty
- The use of technology in the fight against poverty
Meals will be provided.