Investment Experteer for Alterna's impact investment fund
Team Member (Typically 6+ months)
When Can You Start?
You can start ASAP and stay for 5½ months to 12 months
Description and Impact
As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, our organization aims to catalyze transformative businesses from the ground up. We envision a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive change exists in every context, and have worked with over 1,200 entrepreneurs to date to help strengthen and scale the region’s most disruptive and high-impact businesses.
Our talent is the key to achieving our mission. The Fellowship is a multi-dimensional program that will give you a renowned edge in your career trajectory and a seat at the frontline of social innovation. Through a comprehensive, hands-on experience with an organization that is pioneering the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sector, fellows gain the critical skills, contextual insights and connection to a global network to advance their careers and catalyze impact.
In our experience collaborating with more than 1,200 entrepreneurs, we have seen that high-potential, early stage companies often lack access to financial tools adapted to their needs. In our work, we see this need as an opportunity to complement the impact investment category. Together with the Multilateral Investment Fund (FOMIN) of the International Development Bank (IDB), we launched La Ruta Alterna, a program that provides seed capital for social enterprises in a diversity of stages and levels. The program is complemented by a series of Cultivation services, highest quality advisory and resources to help them achieve traction and scale. In this spirit, we seek to stimulate the impact of the investment culture in the small but growing business segment.
Key areas of expertise for a successful Experteerer include:
- Prior professional experience (ideally 2 to 5 years) in related areas, including but not limited to Finance, Investment Management and Economic Development.
- Bachelor's degree in related area required; Advanced degree (MBA, MsC, etc.) highly preferred
- Professional experience and / or prior exposure to Latin America or developing region highly referred
- Solid essential financial knowledge and accounting principles
- Skills in financial modeling, projections and scenarios
- Ideally, previous experience in due diligence processes
- Professional language competency in Spanish and English, with excellent written and verbal communication
- Knowledge and passion for social entrepreneurship and the impact investment sector
Personal skills and abilities include:
- A demonstrated balance of autonomy and self-motivation with strong team collaboration skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage complexity and adapt to challenges with minimal resources
- Humility, empathy, and cultural sensitivity
- A sense of humor and contagious energy
We Provide These Local Benefits
- Learning Opportunity
Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow; in return of this investment of your talent and experience, Fellows will get the unique opportunity to:
- Join the pioneer organization of the impact sector in Central America and gain unparalleled exposure to initiatives that are breaking boundaries in a rapidly developing region
- Advance a diverse professional skill set and generate a lasting impact on Alterna and on the ecosystem
- Gain hands-on experience in a developing context and the Latin American entrepreneurship ecosystem, granting first-hand insights on systematic complexities and best practices in social innovation
- Connect with a network of over ~1,000+ regional entrepreneurs and a wide-reaching network of global impact leaders, presenting invaluable opportunities for professional connections and opportunities
- Work in an exciting, multicultural setting with the international, passionate, and fun-loving tribe of our team
- Seize a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live the rich history, culture, and reality of Guatemala, the heart of the Mayan civilization and Central America’s most diverse country, with extraordinary access to captivating landscapes, adventures, and cultural experiences