Educators Teachers and Teaching Assistants to Improve Education in Uganda
This project was matched to another person! For similar projects, get introduced to this organization.
You must be able to speak English.
When Can You Start?
You can start as soon as possible and stay for 2 weeks to 2 weeks
Description and Impact
THE OBJECTIVE WE WANT TO SHARE
The 2nd Buikwe District Teachers Forum is the second edition of a Forum conceived to tackle the roots of the education problem, by investing in building the knowledge and skills that can stay behind and be developed locally in Uganda to achieve long term results. It holds an unprecedented level of cooperation from the District Education Office and local Members of Parliament supporting the initiative.
8th - 22nd August, 2015 - a group of educators will design and run a teacher training Forum for 150 local delegates from Buikwe, Uganda. These teachers are committed and motivated, but need to have a chance to practice their skills and be once again inspired by the profession they chose.
The need - The practice of skills for teaching core subjects such as English, Maths & Science will be a priority, along with effective school management strategies. The team will be encouraged to draw on local knowledge by troubleshooting and brainstorming issues experienced in local education environments, and identifying Ugandan expertise that can be shared during the Forum. To ensure continuity for the Forum results, strategies for cascading and standardised systems for monitoring, evaluation and self-assessment will be key elements in the project. Workshops will be based on a flexible and responsive approach to evolving local needs, which are constantly monitored by The Great Generation.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Work alongside and network with educators from different countries and backgrounds
- Employ your skills in an unexpected context and outside your comfort zone
- Acquire new ones by practicing and interacting with the local delegates: communication, flexibility and others
- Get to know an emerging economy education reality, and be a part of the change sought by fellow Ugandan teachers
- Re-connect with the love and commitment for your profession
- Enjoy an intense personal development period
On-the-Ground - On arrival in Uganda participants will have time to understand more about Ugandan culture before heading to the rural areas where the schools and teachers are located. Three days will be spent in the classrooms to observe the environment and short end-of-term lessons, and meet the children who will be the ultimate beneficiaries of improved education, in order to understand the reality a Ugandan teacher's day-to-day life. Returning to base in Nkokonjeru, participants will then work together for 2 days to develop the prepared materials for the forum based on their new knowledge and insights, and ensure effective and relevant learning for the teachers. Monday of the second week will see 160 teachers arrive for the first day of the five-day forum, a week of shared learning, renewed motivation and new tools, and content for their own classrooms.
Additional Useful Skills
We Provide These Local Benefits
- Learning Opportunity
- Meal Stipend
- Good For Groups
Basic, clean and simple
*included in the fundraising amount
• Work alongside and network with educators from different countries and backgrounds
• Employ your skills in an unexpected context and outside your comfort zone
• Acquire new ones by practicing and interacting with the local delegates: communication, flexibility and others
• Get to know an emerging economy education reality, and be a part of the change sought by fellow Ugandan teachers
• Re-connect with the love and commitment for your profession
• Enjoy an intense personal development period
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Water
*included in the fundraising amount